Friday, October 2, 2020

Day 5, Leg 4

Tomorrow, I'll be heading out to Yeoju. It'll be a nice walk, and perfectly standard at 30.1 km. Today has been restful, but when you're a mass of aches and pains, everything happens in slow motion, and time slips away before you know it.  Never enough time.

Today is the day after Chuseok, which means that a lot of stores and shops are still closed.  I had wanted to go shopping for a better power pack than the one I have, but none of the local cell-phone stores were open.  While I was on the way to Yangpyeong, I stopped by a convenience store and bought a better charging cord than the one I had with me. 

I also went to a pharmacy to get hydrogen peroxide and cough medicine (I had a cold and sore throat this morning), then I tromped over to the Chinese restaurant to eat what I'd wanted to eat last night. The meal proved to be satisfactory, but I had to struggle to finish it 

I took a few pictures during the walk through town; here they are.  First, three pics from the meal:




A look down the street:


The Chinese place has a name: in hwa ban jeom. The last two syllables often appear in the names of Chinese restaurants in Korea; the character in means "human" and hwa means "peace" or "harmony" (as when my buddy Mike jokes that such-and-such event is disturbing his wa, the Japanese pronunciation of the same character).


Typical of this part of town are the rotaries (a.k.a. traffic circles):


Staring down a street:


The vaunted Hoya Chicken:


A nearby bridge:


The river dominates:


Flags out for Harambe-- I mean, Chuseok.


The bike path you see below is new. When I came this way with JW and his boy months ago, the path had been stripped bare and was under renovation. Now, voilĂ !


Below: the VIP House, my current digs:


The facility below brings me a smile: it's a branch of Pizza Nara, Chicken Gongju (Pizza Country, Chicken Princess), a popular pichi (pizza + chicken) establishment. I used to order food from this chain all the time in 2014, back when I taught at Dongguk University and lived in a shack of a yeogwan.

So there's your glimpse of this little corner of Yangpyeong.  It's actually fairly large and spread-out, as cities go, but I'm never around long enough to explore it in any depth.



1 comment:

John Mac said...

I think the closest I ever got to Yangpyeong was passing the exit signs from the highway and seeing the city in the distance. Kind of reminds me of Pyeongtaek.